Monday, June 15, 2009

Lord's Supper Prep

a verse or two

"1Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord." 1Cor 11:27

Spiritual Walk and Musings: Partaking of the Supper Unworthily.

Next week we gather and partake in Holy Communion. Today we ponder at the betrayal of Christ with encouragement that even with our own individual or collective acts of betrayal of Christ (sin in our lives), we are nevertheless fully accepted by him. Christ still called Judas “friend” when he was being betrayed – the same applies to us. Christ calls each of us “friend”. Therefore it seems to me that we can partake in an act of reciprocal friendship with Christ if we spiritually prepare ourselves for Holy Communion next Sunday. 

As he calls us his friend, let us do as St. Paul said, “Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup…..if we judged ourselves, we would not be judged.” (1Cor 11:28-31). Knowing you are a friend of Christ, talk to him this week about your soul, making peace with him and with those others whom the still, small voice of the Spirit hints we ought to make peace with.

To Pray and Ponder: May the peace of Christ be with you.

The more I learn about Jesus, the more I marvel – even when I betray, his hands are extended and the words “friend” are on his lips and his peace flows through my being. The following prayer was written by Augustine (354 - 430).

“You called, you cried, you shattered my deafness. 
You sparkled, you blazed, you drove away my blindness. 
You shed your fragrance, and I drew in my breath, 
and I pant for you. I tasted and now I hunger and thirst. 
You touched me, and now I burn with longing for your peace.”
Amen

God Bless, Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment