Sunday, December 19, 2010

let us pray

a verse or two
“Are any among you in trouble? They should pray…are any among you sick? They should send for the church elders … prayer made in faith will heal the sick…the prayer of a good person has a powerful effect.” James 5:13ff

Spiritual Walk and Musings: Lets Pray.
We end our journey through the letter of James—and James directs us to prayer. And right now in NZ, prayer is something needed. I’m thinking of the miners, their families and the rescuers. Be encouraged to pray as it does work. 

"More things are wrought by prayer
Than this world dreams of.
Wherefore, let thy voice
Rise like a fountain for me night and day.
For what are men better than sheep or goats
That nourish a blind life within the brain,
If, knowing God, they lift not hands of prayer
Both for themselves and those who call them friend?
For so the whole round earth is every way
Bound by gold chains about the feet of God." [Tennyson]

There are many folk within our church family facing difficulty. Do pray for them. As James says in the reading above – the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

To Ponder and Pray: A prayer by Richard Foster.

Dear Jesus, how desperately I need to learn to pray. And yet, when I am honest I know that I often do not even want to pray. 
I am distracted!
   I am stubborn! 
        I am self-centred! 
In your mercy, Jesus, bring my ‘want-er’ more in line with my ‘need-er’ so that I can come to want what I need.
In your name and for your sake, I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment