Monday, March 14, 2011

My soul longs for you oh Lord

a verse or two

"1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." Psalm 46

Spiritual Walk and Musings: My soul longs for you oh Lord.

Another week and another week of sad news! Oh Lord, my soul longs for you for it is parched and dry.

Psalm 63 A psalm of David, when he was in the Desert of Judah.
1 You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
6 On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
8 I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.
9 Those who want to kill me will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
10 They will be given over to the sword and become food for jackals.
11 But the king will rejoice in God; all who swear by God will glory in him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced.


Dear everyone at St. David’s. Be of courage, be of faith. Show love, show mercy, show compassion. Our God is a good God in whom we can trust. Someone was telling me how after the 6.3 quake on national radio Jim Mora was interviewing Gary McCormick who was in Christchurch at the time of the quake. Jim asked Gary if he trusted the ground on which he was standing (something that we all tend to trust in). Gary’s response was no – that’s how shaken he was.

What does it mean to not trust the ground? If we can’t trust the very ground we stand on then what can we trust? Could this be a deep truth – that all things can turn to custard? All things apart from one thing, and that thing is not a thing but a being – it is God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

In Psalm 63 the psalmist's circumstances make him feel insecure, but this person turns to God who is the source of true security. Likewise the Psalmist in Psalm 46 states “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” May we likewise cling to God, may the people of Christchurch learn to cling to God.

Something to do: space and accommodation

Can anyone offer space and accommodation for Christchurch people? Liz Whitehead from Christian World Service based in Christchurch, is coordinating on behalf of the Presbytery of Christchurch a list of accommodation offers from throughout the country. In Christchurch, ministers will go to her with what a family or person needs for a respite from Christchurch she will match them with the offers of accommodation. If you do have space and would like to make it available, either let Jon know or contact Liz directly, liz.whitehead@cws.org.nz .

To Ponder and Pray: A prayer for Christchurch.

Lord, we think of all the things happening down south, the rushing about, the weeping, the grief, the loss, the lack of security, the strained nerves, the relationship stresses, the debts mounting up.

Oh Lord – you who knows all things. Don’t forget the people of Christchurch. Don’t forget the families, the hurting and crying. Give wisdom and courage, peace and serenity amidst the rushing and planning. Heal the very soul of the people of Christchurch.


Don’t delay oh God, we will beat on your door, we will pound on your door until you answer.

Come quickly Lord, be the refuge in this time of trouble. Heal the very soul of the people of Christchurch.

No comments:

Post a Comment