Friday, July 29, 2011

the Father speaking

a verse or two

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father...Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me…Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing...You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. A selection from John 14: 9 - 14

Spiritual Walk and Musings: Recall God the Father speaking to you.

I encourage you to reflect on times past when God the Father has spoken to you. To a time when you heard his voice, his words and he spoke into your life. Recall that moment. What has happening? What was the Father saying? What was the Father’s tone? What was the Father like? What were the words He said? Were they words of judgement or encouragement and love?

The more I reflect on the moments when the Father has clearly spoken to me – they have not been words of judgement or of telling off. They have been words of encouragement and building up.

So I wonder if we judge ourselves way too hard…way too much. And God wants us to slow down and hear His words of love, His words of building us up. He wants us to hear his words of acceptance.

I remember one day when at university I was running late and rushed down to the dining room, grabbed my breakfast and was about to eat and say grace when I realised I had not said hello to God that day. So I said “sorry, I forgot to say good morning” (or words to that effect – this was over 20 years ago). I do remember hearing very clearly God the Father’s voice saying to me to not worry about it, it was fine. I don’t remember the exact words but I do remember the tone of love, acceptance and encouragement and I remember it was in words that made sense to me and not in Hebrew or 1611 high English.

Can I encourage everyone here at St. David’s to remember and know that God the Father’s love for each one of you is much, much, much more than even the most articulate preacher could ever describe. God loves you.

Something to do: Read and think.

Sometime this week make time to read John 14: 9 – 14 a few times. And then think about what it means for your life right here and now. What does it mean for you, your family, and your neighbours? I don’t think there is a secret formula here for prayer. I think the issue is knowing Jesus and the Father are one and that we can sit on God’s lap and talk with Him – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

To Ponder and Pray: The Lord’s Prayer.

James Smith notes that the Lord’s Prayer gives a glimpse into the nature of God. Read the prayer and note how it demonstrates that God is present, pure, powerful, provides, pardons and protects. I encourage you all to sit on God’s lap and spend time with him in prayer knowing that He welcomes you with open arms.

Pray then in this way:
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And do not bring us to the time of trial,
but rescue us from the evil one.”
Matthew 6:9 – 13 (NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment